Copyright © 2001-2007
Frequently Asked Questions
- I want to backup to my CDRW device, but this option is grayed out in the Wizard.
If this option is disabled on your system, you may need to download ASPI drivers DLL from Adaptec, Inc.
You can find detailed instruction here.
- Can I perform backup of different files or folders at a time?
Yes. You can backup as many files or folders as you need. For details, see Specify Backup Set section in program Help.
- Is it possible to backup an open file which is in use by another program?
Yes, it is possible. To be backed up, such files should have read access. So please make sure that the option "Open files exclusively" in Item Properties/Advanced/File-specific settings is unchecked. Handy Backup does not backup files that not accessible for reading (particularly, system files like pagefile.sys, file opened without sharing permission, loaded modules (EXEs and DLLs), etc.).
- What maximum amount of data can I backup?
When you perform backup to storage location other than CD-RW, there is only one limitation on data size in case of ZIP compression: the whole ZIP archive size can not exceed 2 Gb. The size of every file in the archive also can not exceed 2 Gb. In case of backup to CD-RW, there is no limitation on data size at all.
- Can I select the root drive and not copy all the files in the root drive, and selectively choose subdirectories?
Yes, you can do this. If you do not want the program to backup certain files / folders, just uncheck them in the list of files / folders to be backed up (for details, see Specify Backup Set section in program Help).
- Can I backup files on a remote machine which cannot be accessed by LAN?
You can do this in case you have access to FTP server on the remote machine where you backed up your data.
- Does the program backup to external hard disks connected via USB and to zip drives?
Yes, the program supports backup to USB and zip drives and works with them in the same way as with local drives.
- I created backup of "My Documents" directory on one machine. How can I restore the directory to another machine using the program?
In this case, you need to create Restore item on the machine where you want to restore your data. Then specify index file that is kept on the first machine from where you are restoring.
- Can the program do a full restore to a blank hard drive?
Yes, the program can do this. However, the program is not intended for backing up system files and you can not use it for restoring the whole operation system.
- If I uninstall version 3.x and install the trial 3.9 version, is it necessary to delete the backup file that 3.x created, and start over to create a totally new backup?
You do not need to do this: when you upgrade your version to the newer one, it will import all your old items.
- If I create a new backup with 3.9, what becomes of the backup file after the 30 days trial period? Do those files continue to be accessible via Windows Explorer?
You can access these files via Explorer, provided they are not encrypted. To see encrypted files, you should use Handy Backup 3.9.
- Does the program run only if the computer is connected to the Internet?
No. You don't need to be connected to the Internet, unless you want to keep your data on a distant FTP-server.
- Each time I try to start the program, a window appears stating "Unable to locate backup agent, application will close". What should I do in this case?
The problem may result from incorrect installation of Handy Backup. We advise you to reinstall the program. For details on how to do this, see System Requirements and Installation section.
- Does Handy Backup handle the different time stamp conventions between NTFS and FAT?
You can use Handy Backup in this case - this difference does not influence backup procedure.
- Does Handy Backup support tape drives?
Currently Handy Backup 3.9 does not support tape drives.
- Can Handy Backup run as a service?
Handy Backup 3.9 can not be run as a service; the program runs only as an application.
Have a question that is not answered here? Mail to: email@example.com.
Back to top